Ahead of school resumption different stakeholders in education sector; parents, teachers,private school owners and Founder of the TOS EDUCATIONAL INITIATIVE ,Ms Lolade Salvador, from New York were among the people interviewed by the Kosofe Post on how a good school can be identify in our various communities to ensure children receives the best possible education.
Kosofe Post: What are the things you look for when picking a school for your child?
Salvador: Many of today’s parents are unaware of the different choices they have in educating their children. The right school for your child can make all the difference in his or her successful academic career, while other children may need a different environment to facilitate their learning process more effectively.
It is important to know what to look for in a school to ensure your child receives the best possible education for his/ her specific needs.
Some of the things we at TOS Educational Initiative, think any parents must check on their list when looking for a better school for their child to make life better. Such as;
1. Make a list of the features you want in the school your child attends.
2. How your child learns , the learning style of the school
• Social interaction between teachers and their peers
• what sort of practical they thought in that school, examples scheduling, extracurricular activities and so on.
3. Ask around about the Scores on exams , it’s an important component in determining how well your child will performing academically and how well the school is serious about their students.
4. Visit the school first, It is a good idea to visit to see classrooms and meet the school staffs such as the principal, teachers and other parent involvement, how faculty relate to students and what the overall learning environment looks like.
5. Sit Down with the Principal, A one-on-one meeting with the principal during your school visit can be the best time to ask many of your questions. Principals should be open to meeting with parents and should be forthcoming with information about the school and staffs.
6. Check Out a PTA Meeting
In addition to finding out more about current events at the school, this is an excellent way to collect names and phone numbers of parents at the school, so that you can contact later. PTA meetings are usually available to all parents at the school, as well as the general staffs.
Kosofe Post: what are the things that can put you off about a school?
Salvador: Here are some of the things that set parents off;
- Structure of curriculum
- Teachers engagement
- School environment
- Fees, unnecessarily fees attached
- Grades level of students
- Words of mouth from other parents
- Activities of student during breaks
In conclusion: It’s important to keep in mind with these point to determine what schools and how well your child would do in a school. Take all the above points for your guide.